The Big Island has all the elements for a great family adventure. Swaying palms, rugged volcanoes and whimsical rain forests. Plus crystal waters, colorful reefs and sleeping turtles. Experience it all as you paddle the Pacific, trek around craters and bike along the coast. Add aloha, sunshine, island cuisine and luxurious hotels. Find your element in Hawaii.
- Hike and bike along some of the Big Island’s most scenic routes where natural, historic and cultural splendors abound
- Paddle an outrigger canoe with your family, learn about ancient petroglyphs and enjoy time by the beach
- Snorkel and kayak with sea turtles and colorful fish in Kona’s coral reefs, then kick back on the Hawaiian sand
- Bike through the black lunar landscape of Volcanoes National Park with mighty Kilauea as the backdrop
- All lodgings
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants on Inn Trips
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner, Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers, Park and other entry fees
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkelling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Baggage transfers and porterage
- Backroads water bottle
- Backroads T-shirt
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
- Alcoholic beverages (Backroads provides wine at select events)
- Some meals
- Gratuities for Trip Leaders
Backroads offers deluxe biking, walking & hiking, multi-adventure and family vacations around the globe PLUS active river & ocean cruising, culinary tours, and snow adventures. All Backroads trips are fully escorted by 3 – 4 trip leaders and 2 support vans while guests travel at their own pace, enjoying exhilarating activities, cultural encounters, scenery, camaraderie and fun.
|Day 1||Kailua Kona, HI United States||Kilauea Lodge||Lunch, Dinner, Snack||
Visit a coffee farm and discover the story behind Kona’s gourmet crop | Hike along the coast where Hawaii’s best scenery is on display—sweeping ocean vistas, beautiful valleys, lush tropical gardens and dramatic cliffs | Visit Puuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park
|Day 2||Kilauea Volcano coast, HI United States||Kilauea Lodge||Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack||
Explore a newly formed caldera with a local guide and walk through a lush forest in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park | Kids join a local artist to make their own Hawaiian leis and learn more about the active volcanoes in the park | Spin past giant tree ferns on Crater Rim Drive and discover…
|Day 3||Maunaloa, HI United States||Fairmont Orchid||Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack||
Hike the Puu Oo trail on the flanks of Mauna Loa and explore ancient caves.
|Day 4||Puako, HI United States||Fairmont Orchid||Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack||
Kayak past rocky cliffs and secluded sea caves in the crystal-clear waters around Puako | Take the plunge on a snorkeling adventure among colorful parrotfish, Moorish idols and Hawaiian lionfish | Back at our oceanfront retreat, snorkel with sea turtles or bliss out on white sand | Kids…
|Day 5||Kohala Coast, HI United States||Fairmont Orchid||Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack||
Enjoy a sunrise paddle in a traditional outrigger canoe | Adults spin along the sun-soaked Kohala Coast, tracing 30 miles of the Kona Ironman Triathlon’s cycling course | Kids enjoy a beach day with paddleboards, hydro-bikes and a glass-bottom boat.
|Day 6||Kohala Coast, HI United States||None||Breakfast, Snack||
Learn about historic petroglyphs and King Kamehameha the Great on a coastal walk.
Backroads Terms & Conditions – click here to view.
The trademarks VIRTUOSO, the Globe Swirl Logo and SPECIALISTS IN THE ART OF TRAVEL are registered trademarks of Virtuoso, Ltd. Virtuoso, Ltd. has a U.S. copyright registration for the Globe Swirl Logo, ©2000. All rights reserved. Virtuoso CST#2069091-50. California CST# 2069091; TA# 808 – Registered Iowa Travel Agency; Washington UBI # 601 554 183. Registration as a seller of travel does not constitute approval by the State of California.