Two intriguing countries and one dramatic river equal a grand adventure.
Before setting sail on the Douro River, experience three legendary Spanish cities: Salamanca, the lovely “Golden City”; Madrid, renowned for its museums, stately royal palace and vibrant nightlife; and Toledo, the city of El Greco and a magnificent tribute to the three great cultures that forged Spain.
Cruise through the UNESCO-designated Douro Valley, where grapes have been grown for 2,000 years, visiting picturesque quintas and meeting the winemakers who operate them, as well as tasting the wine. Get even closer to natural treasures at the Douro International Natural Park, where you can get a better understanding of the flora and fauna of the land with an intimate boat cruise, and at the Quinta Aveleda’s gardens, offering an enchanting landscape that boasts a cascading waterfall, graceful swans swimming, peacocks flaunting their colours and so much more. Visit the walled village of Castelo Rodrigo, a site that dates back to the 12th century, and the pilgrimage town of Lamego to see the monumental baroque Sanctuary of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios. Travel through the verdant countryside to Óbidos, a charming hilltop town that has entranced visitors since the 13th century en route to Portugal’s colorful capital of Lisbon.
Reward your inner explorer with the “Jewels of Spain, Portugal & the Douro River,” blending captivating cities, picturesque villages and unparalleled scenic cruising through this less-traveled corner of Europe.
Who will enjoy this cruise/tour
Those who seek to experience the best of Spanish and Portuguese cuisine, culture, art and history, all while traversing the dramatic landscapes made famous by Don Quixote.
- One-of-a-kind, luxurious ships with an average capacity of just 130 guests
- The highest staff-to-guest ratio in the river cruise industry, with award-winning service from the most experienced English-speaking staff on the rivers
- The most elegantly appointed riverview staterooms and suites afloat—many with French balconies—offering exclusive signature touches such as handcrafted beds from Savoir® of England, an array of pillow options, flat-screen TVs with infotainment centers, and spacious marble bathrooms stocked with robes, slippers, and L’Occitane en Provence bath and body products
- All scheduled airport transfers
- All meals onboard, prepared with the finest and freshest ingredients sourced from farmers’ markets and other local suppliers
- Unlimited beverages onboard, including distinctive wines; craft and regional beers; spirits; cocktails; soft drinks; juices; cappuccinos, lattes, espresso, and French press coffee; fine teas; and mineral water
- A variety of onboard dining options and special culinary experiences
- Expertly planned shore excursions hosted by English-speaking local experts, with personalization options including Choice Is Yours, Go Active, Do as the Locals Do, Village Day, and Gentle Walking programs and a host of exclusive experiences designed for Uniworld guests only
- Ship-wide Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Well-equipped fitness center with exercise classes onboard and use of bicycles and Nordic walking sticks for onshore enjoyment
- All gratuities onboard and onshore
NOTE: Bicycles are not available on the River Countess because bike riding is prohibited in Venice.
- Items Not Included in the Published Price: These include, but are not limited to, airfares to and from your destination except where specified; airport/departure taxes; cost of passport and visas; taxes; excess baggage charges; laundry; phone calls; all items of a personal nature; items not included on regular menus; expenses for additional sightseeing not specified in the itinerary; premium spirits & premium wine (please refer to complimentary beverage program in Uniworld’s Terms & Conditions), meals not detailed in the itinerary; Gratuities for programs in Russia, Egypt, India, China and Vietnam/Cambodia (please refer to Gratuities section in Uniworld’s Terms & Conditions for details ); and health, accident, baggage, or travel protection plans.
The moment you step onboard any of Uniworld’s luxurious, one-of-a-kind floating boutique hotels, you’ll experience the care that went into the beautiful design. With outstanding service that comes from the heart, a choice of personalized and exclusive excursions, delicious farm-to-table cuisine, and a choice of inspiring destinations throughout world—every element is included, and is as unique and special as each guest. U by Uniworld is innovating the travel industry with a fresh approach to river cruising. Our sleek ships give you access to the heart of the city, local food, lively onboard atmosphere, and immersive activities.
DAY 1: Lisbon
DAY 2: Lisbon
DAY 3: Lisbon, Óbidos, Transfer to Porto (Embark)
DAY 4: Porto
DAY 5: Porto (Guimarães)
DAY 6: Entre-os-Rios (Amarante)
DAY 7: Régua (Lamego), Pinhão
DAY 8: Pinhão, Pocinho
DAY 9: Pocinho, Barca d’Alva (Castelo Rodrigo)
DAY 10: Vega de Terrón (Disembark), Salamanca, Transfer to Madrid
DAY 11: Madrid
DAY 12: Madrid (Toledo)
DAY 13: Depart Madrid
All fares are per guest in US Dollars based on double occupancy unless otherwise noted. Fares are capacity controlled and are subject to change at any time without notice. Availability of all stateroom categories cannot be guaranteed. Fares for single guests are available upon request. Additional restrictions may apply. If you have purchased your transatlantic or transpacific air with Uniworld and/or you have purchased a cruise-tour package with Uniworld that includes air, your entire package price will be guaranteed at time of initial payment.
Reservations and Payments: A deposit of at least 10% of the cruise-tour fare (cruise-tour, plus port charge, plus pre and or post land extensions, less applicable discounts), per person is required within 72 hours of reservation. Final payment is due at least 120 days prior to departure. Reservations will be canceled if final payment is not received in a timely manner. For all guests booking air travel with Uniworld, a separate non-refundable airfare deposit of $450 per person is required at time of booking. Upon receipt of air deposit your airfare, tax and fuel surcharges are final. You may cancel your air within 24 hours of booking and receive a full refund of the airfare deposit or the total amount paid for air if paid in full at time of booking
Click here for full US terms and conditions and cancellation policies.
Click here for full Canadian terms and conditions and cancellation policies.
Ships’ Registries: China, Egypt, India, The Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, Switzerland, Vietnam